12 April 2015

Handmade Pillow Cases

Last evening I made a set of pillow cases for my niece and her fiance.  I needed a gift for her bridal shower this afternoon.  I had seen a video a few weeks back on making pillow cases with french seams or burrito style.  I went to YouTube and did a search.  These two links two links were the ones I liked the best at demonstrating the layout, pinning, stitching, and the entire process.

https://youtu.be/C7yrDQ7G9so?list=PLcxe-XfzZ-sT7xgcwdTckk83sBP7KyG-Y

https://youtu.be/5ZgMiHREZLQ?list=PLcxe-XfzZ-sT7xgcwdTckk83sBP7KyG-Y

Both of these videos had a lot of useful information.  I chose fabric that matched the design from my niece's wedding invitations.  Her theme is mustaches and smooches.  A very adorable theme.  I had ordered the material I wanted over a week ago when I was unable to find exactly what I wanted locally.  However, the last piece was NOT here on Friday to make my gift, Boo Hoo!  I spent Friday evening searching several fabric stores for a suitable solution.  I was able to find a solution, not my 1st choice, but it will work.



Above is the layout process and pinning for the pillowcases.  All fabric is laid right side up.  WOW this was so difficult for me to remember.  I did have to rip out one seam because I goofed and had the cuff laid the wrong way.  Double check before stitching!


Thie above photo shows the burritto all pinned together ready to stitch.

Below is a photo of my new walking foot for my machine.  I had also picked up a 1/4 inch foot too for my machine.




I have to say that this was one of the best $45 I've ever spent.  I can't believe that I have struggled for years with trying to get my fabrics to not "walk" as I'm stitching even when having it pinned.  Ah, it was wonderful to see such beautiful seams!  I am anticipating the use of my 1/4 inch foot on my next quilting project, I can hardly wait.



For my niece I decided to make her pillow cases opposites.  Smooches for her fiance Adam, and Mustaches for Krista, with the coordinating fabric for the cuff of the cases, and a dark taupe for the band.  I'm very happy with the end results.  Especially since it's the 1st time I've EVER done french seams.  My son was ragging on me that I've lead a sheltered life with sewing since he'd done french seams in Home-EC.  Gotta love it when the boy has done something that Mom hasn't, especially in an area we normally don't associate as manly things to do.

I can't wait to see my nieces response to the pillowcases.  I'll have to let you know later as this will be posting while I'm at the shower.  Below is a photo of her opening my gift.



I had some extra time before the shower today so I stitched some coordinating fabric on to two tea towels for her as well.  Below is a photo of them.












I got the gift wrapped & I'm ready to head out the door for an afternoon of fun.    TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment