14 March 2014

More Snow Geese & Tundra Swans

Today I took my daughter out of school about 20 minutes early today so that we could get ahead of the after school/work traffic and we ventured out to Middle Creek.  It was a good day, not a lot of crowding of the people today.  It was partly cloudy and the mercury climbed up to 48F degrees today with a light breeze.  Our favorite spot was full, so we drove to the east side of the lake and walked a trail to the lake's edge.  The lake was still solidly frozen!  Much to my surprise.  There was very little open water so the birds were all condensed in a very small area.  We were about 300 yards from the birds.


Lizzie found several feathers that made the trip back home & most likely will end up in a scrapbook with my pictures from today.  I think I did well, I took 122 photos, pared it down to 47 I liked best, then down to 30 photos that I really liked and will post in an album.  I will have them posted in an album on my Facebook page, it's much easier to add that many photos there and I'll include a direct link below...


Snow Geese Album Link: Snow Geese Album

I was so very disappointed that none of the geese were in the surrounding fields coming in today.  I have not seen them like that since 2008.  :(  Very sad. They were only on the ice & in the water.

This was the Migration count as of Tuesday:
Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area MIGRATION UPDATE:

03/11/14

Snow geese: 40,000+
Tundra swans: 2,000+
Canada geese: several thousand

No comments:

Post a Comment