06 August 2014

Vacation Fav's

I'm now back from vacation for almost a week.  I have managed to purge over 500 photos down to my favorite dozen or so photograph's.  It was a rainy muggy week of vacation, although it was cool.  The overnight lows were in the mid 40's.  So for a few days the heat in the cabin was on as the daytime high's were about 62 degrees F.

I hope that you'll enjoy the wildlife as much as I did.  Here are some of my favorites:






 This place was beautiful!  Seeing the white bark of the birch trees emerging from the lush green of the rest of the woods...just gorgeous in the morning light.




This was in the wild area about an hour from where we stayed.  The wildflowers were so pretty, I just had to get a few shots of them.








 
 This is where we spent our week of vacation; we rented one of the 'modern' cabins.  It was actually a very nice cabin.  Most of the comforts of home.  No A/C, TV, or internet/cell signal.  Extremely quiet and no light pollution!

 
 



 I never saw lily pads that stood straight up out of the water like these are doing.

The lake is not as my husband & I remembered it (from 18 years ago) it has become full of lily pads and other bog type plants that make navigating most of the lake extremely difficult.  With a canoe or kayak it's not too bad of a time.  The lake is known for being the southernmost example of a Canadian Peat Bog.  Because of all the tannins in the water things do not decay because bacteria is unable to grow here.  I love the reflection of the sky on the black waters of the lake.




 This stump caught my eye as it reminded me of 3 deer heads looking in all directions.  It was just very cool looking.

I think these next few of the lily pads are my most favorite ones.  I love the flowers.  They were so pink, but the photos just don't show their beauty.






I also captured a few of the wildlife among the lake...I had some company in the canoe (a ladybug), while I watched the damselfly and water skippers. A walk on the shoreline revealed some old evidence that Beavers had been there.  Once back in the canoe, we found the Beaver's hut and were able to get within 30 feet of a Blue Heron.


 


 
 



Then the entire reason my husband wanted to return here was for the delicious blueberries, however the harvest this year was not very good.  Instead of 10's of gallons of blueberries we were lucky enough to harvest 3 gallons.





No comments:

Post a Comment