27 February 2015

T-shirt Quilt Day #3

Well, I had a chance to work on my son's quilt again today.  This part was the most nerve wracking for me; cutting the sashing!  I found a wonderful PDF online from http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/2013/03/03/t-shirt-quilt-tutorial-for-beginners/ that I used this as a guide.  Wonderful directions and images for this part of a quilt.  THANK YOU!  After reading her directions through a few times and making my choices for my quilt I made a trip to the fabric store this past Sunday and made the purchase I mentioned in my earlier post.

http://chrisscrafterscorner.blogspot.com/2015/02/t-shirt-quilt-day-2.html

I decided to make my sashing 2 1/2 inches wide; so I needed to cut my strips 3 inches wide.  My son had found a yardage calculator online for me that was a huge help before my trip to the fabric store.  Sashing-Border Calculator  My son was all too glad to help out Mom with the math & show off his computer search skills.


I swayed from seamstobeyouandme.com 's directions because I wanted my vertical sashing to be all one solid length, not short pieces like the blocks in her directions.  I was doing well until I cut too many horizontal strips.  Oh no!  Fortunately I bought extra fabric & caught my mistake in time.  I had to piece my vertical sashing with two strips.  Not too bad, for having cut wrong.  The stack of material in the top right of the photo is what I have left over.  :0)




I was able to get all the horizontal sashing sewn on the 30 blocks for my son's quilt.  Pressed ALL the seams, then I cut all of the vertical sashing, stitched it together, pressed ALL the seams and attached one vertical sashing.



I got the 1st column sewn together & seams pressed.   I had three hours in this morning before I went to work & then I started at it again this evening and worked off & on for another eight hours.  It's been a productive evening.  Now I only have four more columns to stitch together & then sew five more vertical strips of sashing together.  Here's hoping I can finish it tomorrow & Sunday.  I'm getting anxious to see it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment