16 February 2015

T-shirt Quilt

Today I decided was the day to begin cutting that stack of t-shirts (2 shopping bags full) for my son's and daughter's quilts.  I am glad to say that on this bitter cold (-25 with wind chill) day; I feel that I have accomplished something.  I was able to cut 30 squares for my son's quilt.  It's enough to create a full/queen quilt top.  Now I need to iron on the interfacing and decide what color I want the sashing & how wide, as well as if I want to sew the quilt top or send it all out to have someone else complete it.

I'm posting the few photos I took of the layout for 20 of the 15-inch squares, I didn't want to forget the layout after I had it adjusted for color, etc.  I've since added 10 more squares, after some reading I discovered that I should have 30 squares not 20 to make a Full/Queen sized quilt.

**PLEASE excuse the messy room, with the snow and the cold my living room has become the dumping ground for all the packages, backpack, and any other items no one wants to put away.  The joy of teenagers in the house ;)


 My living room floor wasn't quite wide enough for me to layout the entire quilt.  I was looking at the photograph and I see a few squares that need to be re-arranged...


In this photo you can see I have a few squares that are smaller than the rest.  I am debating on how to work these.  Shall I applique them to the larger 15-inch t-shirt square or should I use fabric to build the square to the needed size?


This is a close up of one of the squares I need to make a decision about...applique or patchwork to build it up?  This one is the largest at 12 inches square.  Decisions, decisions...tomorrow is another day & I need a clear head to think about this one.  The white sleeve with the #30 I like the idea of applique on the grey square at an angle.  The others, I just am still on the fence about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment