10 May 2015

My 2nd T-shirt Quilt (#3)

I finally got a chance to work on my daughter's quilt this week.  All of the squares were cut, stabilizer put on 50 blocks, stitched together with batting, plus I had to stitch together the fronts from my daughter's cheer jacket from where the zipper had been & sealed shut the pockets.  Since it had a fleece lining, I did not add batting to this block (it had enough bulk) and then I stitched around the entire block to stabilize it.  I've posted some photos to show some of the steps in the process of making this rag quilt.  I hope you enjoy & also find these steps helpful.  This is my 1st rag quilt.


This shows a close up of the block from my daughter's cheer jacket.  Don't forget to use those specialty items in your quilts, too.


Possible layout of the blocks, I always take a photo so I can remember it later as I'm working with squaring up the blocks I don't need to remember what order they were.


These are the blocks for the 2nd side of the quilt.  Most of these t-shirts are from Girl Scouts, church camp, and a few vacations.


There are also a few t-shirts from Job's daughters as well.  Lizzie has quite a variety of t-shirts.  A lot of color variation with these.


Here I am using my 15 - 1/2 inch template to square up the blocks after having ironed on the stabilizer.


Cutting off the excess stabilizer and extra edges of knit material from the t-shirt.


removing the excess from the block.  I LOVE my template for doing this...I found it in the LTD Commodities catalog this winter, one of my best purchases.  It was part of a kit for making a wall hanging/quilt.  I found I really like the stabilizer that is included in the kit.  It's very thin and reminds me of linen.

I had two shirts that the design was larger than normal, I cut these blocks long enough to show the entire design.

Front side of the center quilt block




Back side of the center quilt block



This is the final layout of the columns.  All 5 columns sewn together & they are ready to be stitched together tomorrow.  I have 2 seams to rip out so I can adjust the lengths so the quilt is square.  I'm hoping to have this quilt finished on Sunday, but if not I also have time to get it finished in time before the end of the week.


In between all of my sewing today I also found time to run to the hardware store & pick up the paint & supplies for my next make-over project for my living room.  Stay tuned here for the progress on it, now back to the quilting project. 




No comments:

Post a Comment