30 April 2012

technology...when & what should we allow our children to have?

this seems to be on everyone's minds today among my circle of friends.  I've had several online conversations about hackers on Facebook, should my teen have a smart phone, should I give up Facebook altogether, the list goes on.  I love technology and how it can make my life easier through using it.  It becomes an issue when the tech companies convince us that we have to have these items in order to live our daily lives.  Well, we don't NEED them.   While they are great aides to our daily lives we'll get along just fine without them.  In fact there are now disorders associated with these devices and addictive properties associated with NOT having access to them.  I am guilty of this myself at times. 

Our cabin before any painting

However, I have no issue with traveling to our cabin, where I rely on TV over the airwaves for my evening news, no phone lines into the cabin (we do get cellular signal - for emergencies only though), the kids don't have their computer games, they must use the board games, decks of cards, or play-doh to entertain themselves or golly gee - talk a walk!  We all need to unplug ourselves more than what we do for the sake of our physical & mental health. 

There was also a segment on TODAY that I only caught the end of - "we need to teach out children about what fits into our budgets." This has stuck with me all day, here's a link to the segment.   I know I do this with my children (ages 11 & 15), but how many of us actually include our children in on just what all we are paying for to provide them their "toys".  Needs vs Wants.  It's up to us to teach them what is actually needed vs what they want or think that they may need.  I was taught by my mother to ask myself these questions:  How many times will I use/wear it?  Where will I keep it?  What will I give up to make room for it?  Do I still need it?  If you were buying it instead of me - would you spend your paycheck for it - remembering that you need to save 1/2 of your paycheck, too?

Not enough of us are having these types of conversations with our children - it's also the reason why Americans are so hugely into debt.  I run my own business, but if I hear a customer say that they are spending money earmarked for bills to purchase from me - I advise them to rethink that, while I am glad for the sales, I do not want to be taking money needed for living expenses.  I know that's not how mainstream America thinks, but maybe it ought to be...  I am in business to make money, but not to put someone out on the street either.  I want repeat customers.

I just needed to post this today as it seemed to be on a lot of people's minds.    I know that I am the minority with these views - Some food for though America!

No comments:

Post a Comment