16 August 2012

Murphy's Law

How does that saying go?  Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong...

I was on my way to deliver my daughter to cheerleading practice when less than a 1/2 mile down the road from the house and the check engine light comes on!  Now, I know that I can drive the vehicle this way so long as it's not a flashing check engine light.  See the problem with these "idiot" lights as some mechanic's (Dad) call them is that you need to pay attention to them.  So, I called my husband, explained what the situation was...he offered to come check all the engine fluids for me & bring additional oil in case that was the issue.  Now, being a mechanic's daughter I could have done all of this myself, but I'm not going to refuse the offer of assistance.  (we also have AAA if I was really stuck)  Long story short - even after checking & adding the needed oil, plus checking all other engine fluids, the check engine light remained lit.  Wonderful!  I had a meeting to attend that was 45 minutes away.  Which I was already late for...  Needless to say I was going to be late for my meeting.  Not a huge deal because it is a very relaxed meeting.  I just enjoy my time away from my family once a month.  Since Hubby wasn't able to diagnose the issue, I called Dad.  Ever notice that no matter how old we get we still call "DAD!"  I keep thinking in the back of my mind 'what am I going to do when Dad decides to hang up his mechanic shingle?'  Anyhow, Dad's unreachable...so I drive to my meeting & while on the way, Dad returns my call.  His response 'Well, what do you want me to do - you're 30 miles away.'  Gotta love it!  Some days I just can't handle his sense of humor.  I love my Dad though & he'll bail me out of almost any situation even this late in the game; and with his grand children, too.  He has taught two of them to drive & most likely will be assisting with the next one who turns 16 next week!  He demanded we all learn to drive standard shift & know basic car maintenance.  Something we ALL could use.  It has gotten me out of more bad situations than I can count.  Dad will be taking a look at my van tomorrow evening, but thanks to his preparation I knew what to do & that I could drive my vehicle.  Thanks for the life lesson, Dad.  Glad that you'll also be teaching it to my kids as well.  Not that I can't - it just helps to have the Village for support.

A bad evening ended up being not so bad after all.  Thanks to Dad, and my Darling Husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment